How to revise at university

1. Get prepared in advance

Have a folder for each module that will have an exam. It can be a physical folder, or a virtual one with something like Dropbox or Evernote.

What to include in folders:

  • Keep important dates in the front, such as assignment deadlines and exams
  • If your university provides a brief overview for each module that you'll be taking, pop those in
  • Lecture slides, along with any extra notes
  • Seminars and any accompanying materials
  • Key journal articles mentioned throughout the module
  • Recommended reading - make a bullet point list of the important points from each paragraph or chapter from any reading that's been suggested, saving you from having to reread a big amount of information later on

2. Start early

Some people like to leave revision until the last minute because it gives them the adrenaline they need to stay focused, but I really don't like that tactic. I once left myself with only two or three days to revise for an exam by accident and I hated the constant feeling of panic because I knew there was no way that I'd have time to get fully prepared.

Starting early really just means:

  • Making sure that you understand what's going on in lectures
  • Have folders ready, i.e. notes are in order and important info is highlighted
  • Keep up with recommended reading

3. Getting on with it

I can't tell you the number of times that I used to put off revision because I wasn't in the mood for it. We all procrastinate sometimes, but it seems like every time I had a deadline or something important to do it became more and more common to find other things to do instead. You just have to push through it and revise anyway.

There are some things that can help:

  • Set a revision timetable or make a list of what you're going to do that day
  • Have regular breaks, but don't schedule them - if you do get into the flow of revising it could be difficult to get back into it again if you stop
  • Break things down into small steps so that one overall task or goal seems a bit less daunting
  • Revise with someone who will keep you focused

I've also made a post on staying motivated at university which might help.


4. Choose your environment

Your environment can affect your mood and ability to revise a lot, and the right setting can change from day to day. I usually used to prefer studying in the comfort of my own home (my partner was out working during the day so it was quiet), but sometimes I used to go to the library for the background noise and to be encouraged by everyone else around me.

Temperature, noise, and clutter on the table are all things that could be distracting - or helpful - depending on how you work best. If you like to work with music in the background then you could try something without lyrics, such as classical music, which has been suggested to help improve concentration.

Try this, or this.


5. Change your technique

Changing the way you revise can be helpful because it means that the same information will be encoded into your memory in different ways.

Here are a few that I've tried:
  • Summaries - this was my preferred way to revise when I was at university because it's so effective. I found summaries really helpful as prompts to remember what I'd learned, and making them was part of the process too (by putting something into own words, making them colourful etc). I made bullet point summaries of everything; the journal articles I read, chapters from books, something to sum up a topic. You can either write the summaries by hand (e.g. if you remember better by writing it that way, or if you wanted to make it more like a poster or mind map), or type them up. I always did mine on my laptop because I type 100% quicker than I can write! If I had a journal article that I wanted to summarise then I'd go through it first with a highlighter to pick out the important parts, then I'd type them up by putting them into my own words. I was fortunate enough to be able to access a lot of course materials online so I'd often have the article, book chapter etc in one half of the screen and my word document in the other.
  • Mind maps - this is a great method for visual learners. I made a mind map for every topic that I wanted to be able to take a quick look at, and also to jot down any ideas I had or points I wanted to include in an essay.
  • Practice essays and exams - if you have access to past papers, use them; it's the best way to find out what you might come across in the real thing so that you can get prepared. If you have to write essays for your exam, then it sounds obvious, but just keep writing out essay after essay until you know that you'll be able to do a good job on the day. Make plans that you can memorise, then try reducing the plans down to a few key words that you'll be able to remember.
  • Flash cards - simple but effective for remembering key terms and dates
  • Record yourself reading notes aloud to play back later. The sound of your own voice can be really strange to start with, but it means that you'll be able to revise on the go if you so wish!
I hope this was helpful - please share your ways to revise below!

Comments

Popular Posts