Goodbye, Lincoln


After three and a half years of city living, we've moved away from Lincoln. Although some would argue that it's barely a city as it's so small there are some big differences between the area and my hometown - everything is within walking distance, and you really have as much as you could want on your doorstop. It's a really scenic place, I used to love walking along the riverside path and venturing up the steepest hill you've ever seen to get to the older, quainter areas that Lincoln has to offer. There are tea rooms on every corner with a beautiful cathedral overlooking the city.


Lincoln was the place that Alex & I decided to move in together. We lived in a one bedroom flat overlooking the river (above) for almost three years, and although there were endless issues with the building I was really proud of our little space...


...even if the furniture was a bit mismatched...


...and even if our main view was a factory. We were so privileged to be able to live in a place like that.


I moved to Lincoln to go to university, which was a fantastic experience in itself. I still believe that university is hyped up to be more amazing than it actually is, but like everything else, you get out what you put in. I learned a lot from volunteering both within the university itself and in the community, and made some good friends along the way, too. I did have lectures when the sun was shining, but strolling through the campus during the winter months and praying that the train barriers didn't go down when it was pouring with rain are memories that more often come to mind when thinking about university. That, and sharing a travel mug of tea with my friend during the early morning lectures and trying (yet failing) not to pour it everywhere!


After all that, I was fortunate enough to graduate at Lincoln Cathedral, which is one of the most idyllic places I could have chosen. I'm really happy to say that I graduated with a 2:1 in Psychology with Clinical Psychology and I'm hoping to put it to good use.


I actually got my first job in Lincoln working on a pizza counter; it was a lot of fun, and I met some really lovely people there who I'm going to miss a lot. It always seems strange to me that a decision to do something can result in meeting friends who you would never have known if small situations had turned out differently.


It was definitely time to move on and start a new chapter in our lives, but I'm glad that we decided to spend the last few years here.

Comments

Popular Posts