8 things I would like to do: An update from 2015!

Three years ago I wrote this list of 8 things I would like to do before the end of 2015:

  • Be a useful, key team member at work
  • Get better at said job
  • Learn more Makaton
  • Keep new house tidy and clean
  • Pick up a bit more confidence when driving
  • Be a bit more healthy (currently living on sugar...)
  • Read more books
  • Have new house 100% ship shape

At the time I thought they were all realistic and achievable goals, and I've had quite a while to work on them, so let's see how I did:

Be a useful, key team member at work, get better at said job and learn more Makaton.
Combining the first three seeing as they're all work related. I can safely say that I smashed this one out of the park. Over the last two years I progressed steadily at work until this September, when I was offered the chance to set up a whole new area in the college - Learner Services. It's such a challenge and I love it.

Keep new house tidy and clean.
Ha. This is still a work in progress and always will be. The house is consistently at an acceptable level of tidy and clean, with occasional deep cleaning flurries. I appreciate having a space that is clutter free and feels organised, and I'm getting better at making the house feel like this more often.

Pick up a bit more confidence when driving.
At the time of writing that list I don't think I was driving at all and probably still wouldn't be, if circumstances at work didn't prompt me to (in Feb 2016?). A few months later I got my own car and started driving all the time. Now I'm a confident driver in familiar routes and places, and have even recently been on the motorway a few times which was a huge barrier at one point.

Be a bit more healthy.
Totally failed this one. One to work on.

Read more books.
I can't say I've done this one either. I've had pockets of times where I've read a lot, but I've probably read less than 20 books since 2015 which is really sad!

Have new house 100% ship shape.
I wouldn't say 100% as I think we're always going to have ideas and plans to change things, but the house is in a pretty good way. I'm happy with it.

- - -

If I'd done this at the end of 2015, I don't think it would have been anywhere near as positive. Even the most realistic goals can sometimes take a while!

2017 has been a year of growth for me (and not just my dress size, ha ha... sob). At the end of 2016 I decided it was time to progress in some way and applied to do a Doctorate in Educational Psychology, but I knew my heart wasn't really in it and so it wasn't too upsetting to receive three rejections. Another three years full-time at university is just not what I need right now. Fortunately things at work started to move in the right direction and I'm now very happy with where I'm at - my confidence has improved so much, and I know that if I keep pushing myself further and further, it can only improve more.

- - -

In 2018 I'd like to:

  • Continue to progress at work
  • Start saying 'no' more
  • Keep learning (whether through books or not)
  • Continue doing and saying 'yes' to things that help me progress as a person
Very vague, but that's where I'm at right now.

What goals are you setting for 2018?

Comments

Popular Posts