Summer

My summer so far has been amazing. It’s been lovely and long! In some ways it’s dragged on as by the time I go back I’ll have had five months off, and even my family have joked that with such a long break they wouldn’t be surprised to see me reading one of my textbooks for the hell of it. Nevertheless, it’s been very relaxing which I really needed.

I’ve been spending this summer going on lots of day trips, seeing family and friends, and catching up on things like reading/knitting etc. I went back to my hometown for a few weeks not long ago to see my family as we were having a bit of a gathering. We were all staying in my mum and dad’s house which got a bit chaotic at times but I really enjoyed it - it was good to have everyone together as it doesn’t happen often. We went to some familiar places but mostly new, ranging from Bolsover Castle to the Crags to the National Space Centre. Creswell Crags surprised me, mostly because I couldn’t believe we had something like that so close to home.

Now that we have a car, Alex & I have been having quite a few impromptu trips out. I don’t think I’ve had a full week back at home for a couple of months now without packing to go somewhere. Soon we’ll be off to Scotland for a few days for my birthday, and after that we’ll be camping in the peak district for a couple of days with his family. The freedom of being able to get about as a couple is great – now all I have to do is hurry up and pass my driving test so I can get about too!

I had my first driving lesson in four weeks yesterday which went really well. My instructor assured me after I’d started the lesson that we’d just go easy to get me used to driving again – five minutes later, he decided it was time I should try hurtling along national speed limit roads and going down a dual carriageway. He’s like that. He must be doing something right though because despite the nerves I’m not doing too badly!

I finished reading the second book in the Game of Thrones series last night. The second I’d put the book down, I went online to order the next one. I think I’ve officially been won over. I still have issues with the series and the author's writing style, but I couldn’t help but get drawn into the storyline and some of the main characters – also, one thing I love is how thick each book is. It actually takes me a while to get through them – me, who can practically inhale average-sized books whole.

All in all, I’ve just been having a pretty great summer!

Comments

Popular Posts