iPhone apps for photo editing

When I was 12/13 I used to love programs like Paint Shop Pro (PSP) and Photoshop. I was really into website design, if playing around on Piczo counts (anyone else remember that craze?), and used to love creating "graphics" and textures to use for photo editing. A few years have gone by since then and unfortunately I've forgotten most of those skills, but nowadays there are plenty of great, free apps available to do all of the hard work for me! I have folder for apps like these where I store everything but instagram:


1. PhotoCollage
2. Papelook
3. Squareready
4. Phoster
5. Polamatic
6. Bokeh Lens
7. Brushes
8. Pixlr Express +
9. After Photo
10. VSCOcam
11. InstaDaily
12. Typic Pro
13. Over
14. TimerCam



1. PhotoCollage is great for combining photos to export to instagram. There are plenty of apps like this one out there but PhotoCollage allows you to customise the width and height of each frame, and it's really easy to adjust the borders too.

2. I haven't used papelook too much as it can be a bit fiddly to get the effects you want on a smaller screen, but it's an interesting idea - it's a collage tool to create scrapbook-like photos on your phone!


3. This is one of my most used apps out of the bunch which quite simply crops your photos into squares. I use it all the time for my blog to keep posts like these a little more compact, without having to spam instagram.

4. Phoster helps you to create beautifully designed, professional-looking posters with no effort at all. Thanks to appgratis I got this little gem for free but it's worth the money anyway!


5. Polamatic turns your photos into digital polaroids. An easy DIY project you could do with this app would be to create a bunch of polaroids, print them, and arrange them into an interesting composition on your wall.

6. I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned Bokeh Lens before - with this app you can adjust the focus of the photo by blurring selected areas to your specifications.


7. Brushes doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the bunch as it's more for drawing and doodling, but I suppose you could draw over a photo too! Again, like papelook I'd rather use something like this on a bigger screen, but it's still fun to use and has some great features such as being able to customise the brushes you use.

8. Pixlr Express+ is probably the closest (free) thing you'll get to Photoshop on your phone. You can adjust things like brightness/contrast, sharpness, red eye, add filters or text.


9. After Photo is the app I used to add text to all of my June challenge photos. You get a great choice of fonts and you can 'rub out' sections to make it look as though the text's behind an object.

10. VSCOcam is another one of my favourites - I only really use it for the filters which I much prefer to the ones on instagram. I didn't really use a good example here as the image was already quite filtered but take my word for it!


11. This is an app that I really need to use more often. It'd actually be good to use on holiday - before taking a photo you can choose between a variety of templates, for example you can make your photo look like a magazine cover, display the weather or check in at a location.

12. Okay, maybe I have one too many apps for adding text, but this one does something a little bit different! Typic Pro offers design elements that you can add to your photo to make them look a slightly fancier. Still worth it in my opinion.


13. Again, Over is an app for adding design elements like text and artwork. To be honest, I mainly use it for the artwork!

14. Last but not least, we have TimerCam, a camera app with an adjustable timer.

*   *   *

Well, those are all of the apps I use for editing photos! As you can see, I'm a little obsessed with it and really need to stop downloading apps, but hopefully I've given you a few ideas about what you can use to play around with your photos.

Comments

Popular Posts