2012 summary

Is it just me or has 2012 flown by?

This year, I finished my first year at university and started my second. Alex passed his driving test, I started learning, and we got our first car! We went on plenty of day trips ranging from Skegness to Buxton, and I spent a lovely three weeks at home over the summer with my family; later, Alex & I went to Scotland for my birthday and then in October we celebrated three years together. We also survived the latest apocalypse (I know, it was a difficult time).

In 2012 I began to make a conscious effort to step out of my comfort zone, which I suppose developed through learning how to drive. I’d wanted to learn for a long time but I just didn’t feel that I had the confidence or was the right kind of person to drive (I have no common sense. At all. It’s vaguely worrying), but after Alex passed his test he teamed up with his instructor and bullied me into it. I got a phone call which basically went, “Do you want to start learning and have my old slot? No? Great, we’ve already booked it!” Naturally once I’d started I couldn’t just give up, and now I’m so proud to be able to look back on how far I’ve come.

Learning from that experience I started to step out of my shell and try a few other things that I would never have done before like applying for various volunteering activities, making more friends on my course and doing something like the Lincoln Award. It may not sound like much, but to me it’s a big deal! I feel like I’ve gained so much this year personally and that’s what I want to carry through to 2013. I know that life changes you at its own pace, but sometimes you need to give it a helping hand – as they say, “life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”

I hope you’ve had a great year, and that you have an even better 2013!

Comments

Popular Posts