Moving out

Moving out for the first time is a massive step in life. Last year, I moved to a new city with my boyfriend and I thought that I could talk a little about my experience - moving in with your partner is also a big step, but I'll save that for another post!

It all started with the decision to go to university. Before, and even while I was with Alex I'd always assumed that I'd be staying on campus in halls, while he'd always assumed he'd be following me to whichever university I decided to go to. I don't think I could ever have been the one to bring it up - I'd feel a bit selfish really - but when he mentioned the idea of finding a little place of our own and moving in together, it seemed perfect.

It was a tough call to make because on the one hand I knew that I'd be missing out on a lot of the social side to uni - especially during the first year - but I just never thought I'd feel comfortable living in halls. I've always been very close to my family, and I think that being away from both them and Alex would've been too much for me to deal with while also feeling pressured to make so many new friends. I know that everyone's in the same boat and I know that I probably would've had flatmates to rely on for support, but I felt quite certain about my relationship with Alex and I just knew that I'd be happier to move in with him.

There wasn't really a day that we "officially" moved out, which made things both easier and more difficult. It was difficult in the sense that I was basically living out of boxes for a few months and I was a bit scattered, but it was easier because it wasn't a big shock. We'd spend weekends, and even a week at a time in our new flat during my last few weeks of college to test the water. We had no real issues and were really excited to move, although we were both pretty terrified too! Saying goodbye to my family was probably the hardest part and I did get quite homesick (and still do sometimes!), but I wasn't alone and I know my family will always be there if I need them.

The first few months were spent decorating, learning to cook (properly), sorting our finances out and getting to know a strange new city. It all felt a bit alien at first but I really feel like we've settled now - I still consider my family's house to be "home", but this is home now too. I've gained so much confidence and independence over the past year - at 19 I certainly do not feel like an adult, but I feel like this has definitely paved the way a little!

Comments

  1. I can't wait to move in with my boyfriend one day but we'd never have lived just on our own with each other whilst at uni (I mean no offense by that statement btw- i don't think it was a bad idea for you to do it at all-i lived in a quiet hall and met people like me but even a hall like that isn't for everyone!)
    But we only met in our first week at uni and our relationship wouldn't have been at the right stage to just move in together during the past 2 years- though we do live in the same house with 5 other housemates!
    We've had small discussions on what'll happen next summer when we graduate but we both want to wait to move in together until we're settled if that makes sense? Like when we move in together we want it to be "living together"- like a serious step forward in our relationship. I don't want to live with him because we're in the same city. I want to build a life with him and need to get the shakey "just out of the uni bubble" bit out of the way before we commit to each other in a bigger way! No doubt it'll happen one day- we just don't know where we'll each move to after uni!

    Sorry for my ramble- just my input on my own views on moving in :D
    Becky xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, what we did is certainly unusual and whenever I explained my living situation last year I got plenty of funny looks which I think is why I felt the need to write about it a bit. I know that what we did wouldn't work for everyone, but it felt right for us. Even though we'd only been together for a couple of years when we made the decision we'd been close friends for a lot longer and I think if that weren't the case we probably wouldn't have considered making such a big step - we felt like we'd been together for longer than we had I guess?

      That makes perfect sense to me! Every relationship is different, for example even if I hadn't gone to uni we'd still have moved in together, just closer to home. You just have to go with what works for your own relationship :)

      Thanks for your comment! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts